At Coco Bee we oppose the use of harmful, synthetic ingredients in our products. Why is this so important to us? With the help of our friends at the Environmental Working Group (EWG) here are some things we think you should know about sunscreen and cosmetics:
- High SPF values are misleading - Listed below are five major strikes against SPF values greater than 50, check out the link to read more on the EWG website.
1. Marginally better sunburn protection.
2. Poor balance for protection against all ultraviolet rays.
3. High-SPF products may not really be high-SPF.
4. Consumers misuse high-SPF products.
5. High-SPF products may have greater risks to health.
- The common sunscreen additive, vitamin A, may speed the development of skin cancer. Avoid sunscreens and other skin and lip products containing vitamin A, retinyl palmitate, retinol, retinyl acetate, retinyl linoleate, and retinoic acid.
- Avoid sunscreens with oxybenzone. Studies have shown oxybenzone can be detected in 97% of the American population. It is known to alter and disrupt the natural hormones in the body as well as lead to skin allergies. This active ingredient is also linked to killing our ocean reefs.
Coco Bee stands for the best clean ingredients and simple combinations that are good for you and good for the earth!